Saturday, February 16, 2013

Europe 101: My Mission Impossible


Where do you want to go in Europe? This was the question that was asked to me by my friend, and my answer was.. ahm.. anywhere! :D First, I don't know much about Europe (and I don't mean the countries in it) and for me, this is like a super vague question since you just don't go to a place just to go there but to really experience and do or see something there. 

So instead of enumerating 'where' I want to go, I just list down what I want to 'experience' there. You have to understand that while doing the list, I'm still not sure if my visa or my leave will be approved. Hence, my list is not a product of thorough research but just a personal list with (was) my current state of mind. And since I don't know much about European history and culture, my list sounded exactly like someone who doesn't know much about European history and culture :D With a little modification to the original texts, here's my things to do in Europe:

    1. Experience snow falling 
    2. Go to the Alps (Switzerland).. I'm still not sure about skiing.. :S 
    3. Drink German beer in Germany 
    4. French something in France 
    5. Drink wine from a vineyard 
    6. Watch opera or musical theater (any Mama Mias?) 
    7. Go to a Planetarium (anywhere) 
    8. Pray at the Vatican City.. I also want to get a rosary from there for my mom & sis 
    9. Climb the Eiffel Tower.. hopefully with an elevator :D 
    10. Learn history (maybe Rome / Germany).. arts and culture (maybe Paris) 
    11. Be in two countries at one time.. any borders.. 
    12. Be in any castle.. hopefully not ruined. 
    13. Shop for chocolates! (and well, some souvenirs too).. and maybe some cheap Swiss watch.. Oh.. and swiss knives for my brothers 
    14. See pictures of my friend when he was little
    15. Take a picture with (at least) 10 European men.. :D
Some of the items from the list were immediately crossed out while some have never been achieved... but(!) I feel that the remaining items were replaced with cool experiences... and even more... there are those that are not on this list which I think should be. So after a series of google maps... housetrip rentals... flight schedules... bus routes... tourism websites... travel blogs.. winter fashions... then, more of google maps... we finally have our itinerary... and my obvious first stop is Switzerland! ;)

Enjoyed swiping this card at
Schiphol's transfer service. :)
Well, its actually Amsterdam... at least Schiphol airport. As we researched on the possible flights to Europe from the Philippines, we found out that the only flight directly to Europe was this flight to Netherlands. I think the DOT should do something about additional flights to some key points, like maybe London or Germany. ;) And since this was my first international flight, everything is so new... from the foreign looking flight attendants.. to the huge airport terminals... to money changer booths-with-good-looking-European-guy-at-the-counter.. :D

Waiting at the gate... no turning back... ready for the first leg of the race! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment