Sunday, May 12, 2013

Europe 102: Meeting David


A few weeks ago, I asked a friend to recommend me some books to read. And the one she recommended was Gabriel's series by Sylvain Reynard. The book is on the “romance” category... as of the “level” of romance, you just have to read it for yourself. I generally love romantic stories in whichever form... vampires, angels, humans, or a mixture of all these. So, I knew that I'm also going to enjoy this one. While reading on it, I started to get a hint of why my friend recommended it. Nope, it's not because of the romance content in it but where the romance took place... Florence. It did describe the place as I have experienced and seen myself. Since then, I already got an itch to write about this place but my little OC side have to follow some chronological order first.

Firenze, Not-The-Centaur

My first European train... from Venezia to Firenze.
The Italian city of Florence was “supposedly” our first stop before our surprising little detour. So, I already dig up a bit of information about the place. But since it was my first time in Europe, I still don't know what to expect, particularly the atmosphere. When I knew about its Italian name, Firenze, a centaur gets into mind... everyone who don't know about Florence but read Harry Potter series would know what I mean. I just have to take note that it was also my first ride on the train, particularly the Italian train. I'm a sucker for first times (I think I've said it before), so, this one is exciting for me. Since we already got eTickets with us, we already skipped the ticket booths at that time (but we did it on the next trip). Trains... I know Sheldon would love trains... it wasn't really my first time in trains but the longest ride I had taken before this was probably a 15-minute-ride (or less) in an MRT. Unfortunately, there's really not much to see since it's already getting dark (at 5pm!) except maybe passing on the bridge. So, we just settled in and enjoyed the ride mostly playing some apps and reading some info about the city... and maybe more games.

The main thing that's on my mind at that time was the idea of “stepping into Florence”... its still all so surreal for me... it's more like listening to some rich social circles that they just had a vacation in Florence. I know I should already get over it since I have been to Venice but it's not... I've got the feeling of “kilig” all over again. As I imagined, it was a very charming city... as charming and  rich in culture as Venice... only with wider (cobbledstone) streets. :D Although, I really had fun walking on these streets, it's no fun for the one who's dragging our humongous luggage. Not only is it challenging to drag, it is also quite noisy. I'm just glad I didn't have to do that (sorry, buddy :* and thank you :*). But that's the only thing that I dislike about these streets. In general, I just love it. I love how it just simply adds vintage character to the entire place. I might sound lame but it did add up character and feel into this whole European experience. That happens when you grew up with walking either on earth grounds (with normal roads) or beach sands.

David, The-One-Without-The-Clothes-On

The-man-who-must-not-be-seen
is in Florence!
One of the things I'm excited about Florence is their architectures and arts... after all its considered to be the birthplace of Renaissance, right? I have very limited (if there's any) knowledge in art, so my interpretation of Renaissance art would be nude sculptures and paintings, particularly David (by Michaelangelo). And dang! These statues are almost everywhere! Well, not all of them are in full-mode nudity, some have barely clothes on and some almost have full clothes on. I don't think I've ever been to a place where there are art statues all around you... outside in a plaza. You get most of these Florentine statues outside the Uffizi gallery building or when you go to Piazza della Signoria. In this piazza, you can see great statues already... the ones that stuck in my mind were the Fountain of Neptune, The Rape of the Sabine Women, Persues with the Head of Medusa, and of course David (a copy). Did Italian men just walk around like David during the Renaissance age? Whew! They would definitely freeze in winter. :D Although, I was a bit conscious staring at these statues, after a while I got the hang of it and just really appreciate it for what it really is... a detailed expression of the reality from the artist's point of view. I already admire their passion in creating these pieces especially in that time in history. A time when people just started to find the liberty to really express what they feel in whichever way they want.

Sights of Florence

Partial side view of the Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral
Aside from that, the city also have really great architectures including Santa Maria del Fiore, the third largest cathedral in the world. It's so huge that you can't even take a picture of the whole church. If this is the third largest, I couldn't imagine how big the largest would be. From the inside, you can't really imagine how large it is until you stand on the side of one the pillars or statues. The statues were like twice or thrice as big as I am... that's just the statues. The ceilings are designed with gold plated mosaics with some other materials on it... simply amazing. In front of the cathedral is the Baptistery which accordingly might be the first Christian church in the city. I think I'm just in awe standing in the middle of the street looking and absorbing all these scenes despite the drizzle.

Since, I'm already talking about arts and history, I think we were deciding between visiting either Uffizi and Museo Galileo. I decided to go for Museo Galileo because I was more interested to see his old stuffs... imagine what scientist use before computer was even invented... plus the fact that I don't know much about arts... :D Looking at the old telescopes and different globes was really fun, I feel like I'm a kid again. I could imagine, Sherlock Holmes using one. And I didn't even know that there are terrestrial and celestial globes... I just know a globe period. Whenever I see a globe (that type that I know), I'm just excited to locate the Philippines. Do they know that a little archipelago exists over here? Amazingly, they did... maybe not the accurate location, shape, or name but they did include our little island. One thing that's not cool though, was that my video guide kept shutting off, I think I had to go back at the counter twice. But other than that, it was fun. I just realized that while I'm looking at those old classic telescopes, the one I'm with is operating probably one of the biggest telescopes in the world.

The art gallery of Piazza della Signoria
Generally, walking on the streets was like walking in a fashion runway... it's like, presenting the winters collection. It was just wonderful to see people glamed-up even if it's winter. Anyways, moving on... while we were there just walking around the Piazza della Signoria, a group of teenagers did a mob dance. It was really fun, it's just a pity that the kids back home we're not able to see it. They also give free hugs and free kisses. I wonder what the occasion was. One thing for sure, these Italians love to have some fun. No, I didn't get those hugs and kisses. I don't know why but my shyness sinks in... maybe next time, Italians! ;)

One thing that should not also be missed in any Florence trip is the view of the Arno river. If Venice has Rialto bridge, Florence has Ponte Vecchio (“Old Bridge”). It's one of the busiest bridges in Florence and there are two other bridges that you can cross over at the other side of the city. These bridges was apparently spared from the attack during the war because the leader found it so beautiful to just destroy it. Yes, it is that beautiful. I think it was also the first time that I've really observed those locks on the bridge. It's a tradition that couples put their locks in one of rails (I don't know the exact term) and they throw the key into the river to symbolize that they're love will be forever. I think that also adds up to the romance feel of the river and Florence itself. It's a pity we didn't bring locks with us.

View of the cathedral from Boboli Gardens
On the other side of the river, you should not also miss the Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens. Why is it a must to go here? From the foot of the garden, you can get a bird's eyeview on the main city of Florence. It's cool for a panorama picture. You can really see the dome of the cathedral from the top. The garden is just so huge, it will probably take an entire day or two to just roam around the garden and the palace itself. At this day, the weather cooperated very well so we enjoyed it and is a different sight from the busy streets of the main city. I could imagine that it would be a better sight to see with flowers during the summer. Note to self, Florence for all seasons.. :D


My Tuscan Desire

Ponte Vecchio at night
When we were planning to go Italy, the thing that easily associate with the place are pizza and pasta. It's no kidding, if Switzerland have an entire section of cheeses in their grocery store, Italians have an entire store of just 90% pasta. My guess, is that they have ALL kinds of pasta. Anyways, I already eat my first pizza in Florence, so we also tried to take on some pasta. It's also no surprise that it was reaalllyyy good. But one of the biggest surprise is one of their soup, Tuscan soup, Ribollita. Maybe we got lucky with the ristorante that we dine but oh, my God, it was heaven! Ribollita is the one word that I will probably never forget... ever. Reading on the menu, I found out that it was made from left over food. And I was like, “Uh-oh... how can I possibly recreate this?” Yeah, you read it right. The big challenge is: I have to eat an Italian food before I will have an Italian leftover... then(!) I will have my Ribollita. Whew! I think you will also have an idea that I'm an excellent at eating but I'm stupid at cooking. I'm just glad that there's internet now. Someday, I'll be able to do it myself. Another note to self... set target for this year.

The question is: will I ever go back to Florence? Am I kidding myself?! In a heartbeat, I will... but maybe not in winter. There was a day when it was raining hard that we just have to wait for the rain to subside. On the other hand, that was also the only time that we were not walking and just sit down outside. Anyways, we had to go back because we missed putting that lock on that bridge... and besides, I also want to experience walking on cobblestone with sandals on. ;)

Next... a day trip at Pisa. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment